Saturday, September 02, 2006

to the woman who somehow thought she could make a U-turn from the center lane

It is a rare and precious moment, when such things happen, and we are for a moment face to face, staring at each other through our windows, seeing a person instead of a driver. And what strikes me most is how perfectly your expression mirrored mine: not guilt for you and outrage for me, but both of us stricken, shocked, and frightened, because something happened that we did not expect. There are people who will react in such a moment with outrage, because they have decided already that the other person is always to blame; but that is not you, and that is not me. Only afterwards did we understand what had happened, and I began to feel angry, and you perhaps to feel ashamed. In the moment, all we could realize was that something had gone wrong, and in that shock we were, for that glance, sisters.

4 comments:

The Wayward Budgeter said...

oh no, Ginny! on no! Clearly you are both okay, so how is your car?!? What happened?


Please call me. I tried to return your call yesterday, and I couldn't get it to work. I thought I had your new phone number in my phone, but maybe the last time I called, I punched in the numbers old-school style and never put in your new number. Please call!

Virginia Ruth said...

Car's fine. It's funny, because I'm pretty sure we made contact, but only just... I felt kind of a light grating sensation, but not really a feeling of collision. And there's no mark on the car at all... maybe it helps that both cars were wet.

Molly said...

That sounds a little miraculous.

I'm glad you're okay!!

Molly said...

Ginny, somehow I missed your blog on Ben Folds and Go. I didn't realize it until you mentioned writing about Go on your livejournal. I'm so glad I found it! The part about Go was really interesting, of course, but my favorite part (of course, again) was when you talked about Ben Folds. I like to read people's thoughts about music. I liked what you wrote about the piano and about the dangers of excessive introspection. Anyway . . . I will be seeing you in about two weeks!